Thursday, October 23, 2008

Home folks

I am not originally from Canada and it is obvious to people from my own country that come into the library. They feel at home seeing me ( I guess) and I like to see them too. But it gets a bit uncomfortable sometimes.

The other day there was a lad from the same city that I am from. He asked me if I was from this city and started to chat. Problem is he always wants to speak in our native language. I am working. It doesn't look professional to chat with someone in my own language when I am on desk. So I responded to all his questions in English. I don't think he got it. After a couple of days he still tries to talk to me in our language. I am persistant though!

When I am working I don't want to socialize. Speak to me in the language of the land. At least give it a try! Only exception when I will speak in the other languages known to me is if the patron has difficulty communicating in English (or absolutely cannot speak it).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh boy!
i have no doubt that if u'r classmates hear this (back home)will have a feild day teasing u.
i can even think of some names already.
good for u. keep up the good work. yes, u need to maintain work ethics... but if the person is new to the place .. u need to tell the person about work ethics here.
maybe thats why maybe the person keeps coming back speaking Native language.
take care. good luck
ust

Amos said...

I know what name you are thinking Usha. May be Peter hahahaha..... well done Maha even I think what you did is right Because your own colleagues become nervous of you talking in some strange language if they overhear you.... AM