Thursday, October 01, 2009

More personal favours

Twice last night I was asked by patrons if I would let them use my computer or my email. There are about 25 computers they can use in the library.

The first case was a lady who wanted to send something to her email from the web and then print it (don't ask me why). Alas, she forgot her mail password. So she wanted me to sit with her, send this stuff to my email and allow her to print it from there. Common! I should mention I printed it off the web for her.

The second case was a young man who couldn't download Skype on our computers. We don't allow downloads. So he wanted me to download it on my computer so he could quickly talk to someone!

Would you walk into an office building (say you are in the building for a reason) and ask the staff there to use their computer? Given we are a public service and not just some office building - still, isn't there a limit as to what can be expected of us.

If you are new here you should read my other entries on what people ask at the library.

4 comments:

ush said...

what should i say..?
Either they r just learning to use computer,or just not using their brains!
good luck

Tamara Marnell said...

Working at a specialty library, I don't get many outrageous requests like that. However, some of our materials are restricted to people with specific professional licensing, and I've seen people throw fits when they don't meet the requirements. The other day there was a lady in here who forgot her license, and when I tried to explain procedures cut me off in the middle of every sentence to say, "that doesn't make sense to me." I don't know what it is about the words "public service" that makes people act badly.

Anonymous said...

Yesterday I printed off 30 pages of personal documents for a couple of young guys. They couldn't do it on the public computers and when I taught them how using my computer, there were no computers available. Of course they need it "now."

These documents were scanned images and I had to use my word document, then Insert > Picture > From File and then print. Couldn't open these images any other way.

So there are occasions when we give in. But it is still a shock when someone pushes us to the limits and asks to download Skype or use our email.

Amos said...

People take things for granted when it comes to Public service and this is a perfect example...kudos to your patience and service oriented spirit...AM