Monday, December 03, 2007

Gum Chewers at the Frontline

I am not a gum chewer. Even as a teen I don’t remember chewing gum under peer pressure – mostly because it caused me headaches. All that chewing!

I look around me and see that many here like to chew gum, including adults. I am not against that. Who am I tell you not to chew gum? But I do not like it when I have to deal with someone who is talking to me while chewing gum. Should people at the front line be chewing gum? Chew it during your break, lunch time, on your way home, at home….anywhere you like but at work – especially when you are dealing with customers.

I was so intrigued by people chewing gum non-stop that I decided to look for information about it. Just Googling found me a few results.

Here is one that claims gum chewing increases memory. Hmmm…!! Had I known I would have chewed some gum before every exam!

Here is another one: this is my favourite. This is a gum that enhances breasts! Vow ladies! Forget surgery! Just buy some gum!

It is funny, but this is a big industry. Companies are not only coming up with different kinds and flavors of gum, but are also working on gum cleaners – products that use enzymes to break down the chemical structure of chewing gum so they can be removed easily from hair, clothes or anywhere you stick them. Environmental Health Perspectives (Oct 2005): p.A663(1)

There was another article (I forget where), that talked about new moms chewing gums for the first couple of years, so they don’t pass on dental caries to their newborns.

With all this encouraging news (!) and more to come (from the gum industry) I guess no one will stop chewing gum for a while!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, I am also someone who does not like talking to some one chewing gum..esp if they talk and chew.
OF course no one mentions anything about cancer..!my neighbour chewed jum always and had stock in his pocket.. loved giving it to our kids.. he died .. With Alzmiers.. LOSS OF memory...!he was also told to stop as he was likely to get cancer..
They chew gum also for mouth refreshing.. no bad breath.Also supposed to be good for Teeth.
For flight good to keep ears from closing.. !I wait for the fight to become ok to spit it out!
have a good time.
ust

Anonymous said...

The truth is, there are people who can't STAND the sound of people chewing gum (and many other mouth noises, for that matter), myself being one of them. I don't mean merely find it annoying. I mean literal rage at the sound. I work retail, and try to avoid chewing at all cost, because I know there are others out there like me...if I end up with some in my mouth, due to dry mouth or just a well meaning co-worker offering it to me, I keep it in the side of my mouth when ever I must talk to a customer. Just trying to spread the word that this is a real problem for some! Search for Selective Sound Sensitivity if you're curious about it.

Lisa