Saturday, September 01, 2007

Patrons who make your day

Depending on whether you work in a public library, school library, college or University library your day could be made or ruined by patrons. In an educational setting usually students are well behaved. They don't get annoyed that you don't carry an item they need right now. They just wallow in disappointment and walk away unhappy. But in a public library setting, quite often if not always, patrons demand help. It is their tax money that keeps us running and pays our bills. There is a sense of "You owe me."

Once in a while you are lucky to have a wonderful patron come by just to make your day. I served a patron who was in her late 70s. I wish I could be half as active as her when I am her age. She was in to find about books on water color. She was taking courses on this subject. She also mentioned she has come to the library in her scooter. She just bought one and has learnt how to drive. Is she amazing or what?

I have a lot of ideas as to what I would do when I retire. Will I really be as practical as this lady whom I just met? Or is it just going to be ideas in the back of my mind.

Hats off to you lady and people like you who thrive on being active and learning new things.

1 comment:

Amos said...

I wish I can be as active as this Lady when I am old. But you know something the secret is to be active right through. Never get bogged down with the so called 'retirement' and carry on as everything is normal. The minute you slow down you are a gonner. It is a mindset....AM