Thursday, October 12, 2006

The Trust

It is amazing how much trust is entrusted in one who is a “librarian.” And all this trust, without ever actually testing the person to confirm his/her abilities in performing the given task. For me, all this is working well.

In my library, I have been trusted to teach “advanced level computer classes” on a one-on-one basis. What do I know about programming and hardware technology? Not much. I powerpoint presented to death in library school. I have taken other computer classes before and after library school. Some were self-taught.

But I am not teaching programming. People call us at the branch and ask for help with powerpoint, Excel, using their laptop or anything in Microsoft Office. I can do that. I am the only one at my branch willing to teach at such “high” level. Many of the students are seniors and they are glad that some one will sit with them patiently for an hour and answer their questions. Some are already comfortable using a computer and just want to know how to use a certain program – for their church or community organization. Others want to know how they can communicate with their children in other provinces or countries through email. I find it a delight to teach as I have done this before, long ago in my life. And it is mighty encouraging to receive good evaluation/reviews from your students.

I don’t have a designed lesson plan as the lessons and the knowledge base of students differ from week to week. I go in knowing what I know and adjust my style based on the individual. That is what the students find helpful. I follow the pace of my students.

I would like to know from my blog readers, if there are any other libraries teaching such lessons. What works for you and what doesn’t?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi maha, after a long time i checked your blog..and see you just wrote something..roshin somehow manages to blog..but i am happy to see you are starting to do it.. keep it up.
our area library also has computer programs.. though i have not attended.. do not know if they charge..
thats great you are able to help students on one to one basis.. keep up the good job..god bless you.
was going to ask if you blog often.. but since i read your blog.. will tell you to try to keep that upto with all your busy schedules.good luck.
usha